Wednesday, August 22, 2012

God's Will

Let's suppose, for just one moment, that all them people who believe in some sort of organized religion have a point. Since there are several big religions, and each of them has approximately three billion different sects, let's give this benefit of doubt just to a few common points that Judaism, Christianity and Islam can probably generally agree about:
  1. God exists.
  2. God wants us to do certain things, and not do certain other things.
  3. God has supernatural control over natural events.
Now, the disagreements between different religions/ sects are mostly about the fine details of point #2, but they all agree that the point itself is valid: some things are commandments, others are sins, etc. Having accepted these basic assumptions, I believe I have a solution to these disagreements.

Let's take a random question that may have religious significance, for example, am I allowed to eat pork? Jews and Muslims would tell me that God wants me not to, whereas Christians would tell me that God doesn't mind it. In order to settle this disagreement, I suggest that we go directly to the highest authority.

I simply decide to submit myself wholly to God's will, instead of the various people who claim to be his representatives, and let Him answer this question - whatever He tells me personally, I shall do.
So I toss a coin.
If God can create the entire universe and perform all the fascinating miracles that the bible is full of... and if God is so loving and merciful and we are all His children...and if He watches us every hour of every day... surely He can make the effort of making the coin fall on the right side for the sake of giving us this invaluable knowledge, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment